Good SEO Video - Worth Sharing

Good SEO video, worth sharing. Gets technical, if anyone wants any elaboration on anything, feel free to ask. This is one of the few SEO consultants I actually value the opinion on. If it's not an SEO that's actually experimenting with algorithm signals and wieghts, I really don't bother with the resources. This video is breaking down John Mueller's Google+ hangout. Since Matt Cutts took a hiatus, Mueller has become the voice of Google's search and web spam departments.

My key takeaways (might be different from yours):

• I need to see the Google Webmaster hangouts on RankBrain, as it's going to be the next game-changer
  • With more signals moving away from backlinks, Penguin refreshes should be less harmful, in my opinion.
  • All them whitehat SEOs started calling "PageRank Sculpting" a blackhat trick. I guess now they're still calling it a blackhat trick while claiming that "content siloing" is a whitehat onsite optimization that everyone should be doing.....Which is the same as PageRank sculpting.......
  • Thanks once again for reinforcing the truths about duplicate content and how Google treats duplicate content. I actually got into a little spat with an entity within the camming industry over this and pulled all their content on my site over this. I hate when bad SEOs feed people bad advice.
  • It's been heading in that direction for a long time, but I guess now it's official and we can say RIP press releases. It was a great SEO hack for a while, but like all good SEO hacks, the blackhats have to ruin it for the rest of us. 

If you don't know of the concept of PageRank sculpting, it's the process of funelling PageRank (The mystical, magical ranking power of Google) to key pages. This is done through internal linking. PageRank passes through links; both off-site and on-site. By strategically linking to valuable pages you can slowly bump up the rankings of said pages. By using keyword rich anchortext, the effect compounds. By syndicating content (internal links turn into backlinks) it further compounds the effects.

Comments

• I always like digests like this because it saves you from listening to 20 hours of John Mueller hangouts. John does a lot of videos on the relevent dialogues of Mueller's hangouts, so if you're really trying to keep up on the latest tweaks, straight from the mouth of Google, it's a great channel to subscribe to.

• Oh, and as far the rel-cononical and consolidating metrics vs grouping; I can tell you for a fact that javascript redirecting mobile users to a mobile-friendly version will group the two versions / urls and consolidate metrics, therefore I'm willing to assume that everything else behaves the same.

Whether it behaves like mobile redirects or a 301, it's all kind of the same when it's said and done anyway. Only one url will show up in the SERPs, so whether the URLs are paired or the PageRank is consolidated is somewhat irrelevent.

I don't believe there's any way to use rel-cononical with ModelCentro anyway, and there's really no realistic scenario any model would ever run into where rel-cononical would be necessary anyway. If you're syndicating content and have control over it, sure, why not? But with syndicated content the original source will usually be the indexed version anyway, and a deep-link from any syndication could be just as beneificial as rel-cononical anyway.