Nat's book club thread - Whatcha Readin'?

I totally love book threads on forums, being a big sci fi geek I've used them extensively to find people who also like the same kind of books and get recommendations on what next to read. So, I thought I'd start one of these threads here, to find out what you ladies and gentlemen are reading these days, and maybe get great advice and share some experiences.

My last big love of a book-series was the Vorkosigan Saga, I later found that it's claimed one of the most addictive series out there, and I'll second that statement. Still getting over the craving of another book. Good news - Louis is writing another one in the series, I just can't wait :)

I've also read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and his Anansi's boys. Not my total favorite, but kinda a cool read with a cool idea. Not something I wish I could unread to read again.

I just started The Patternist series by Octavia Butler. Seems cool so far, a bit... complex, lots of new ideas and very little explained, but I'm only an evening's read into it, I'll let you know how that turns out.

Comments

• This is an excellent thread Nat I also love to read mostly crime books and right now I am reading something very grusome called Cannibal Serial Killers by Christopher Barry-Dee he is an amazing true crime author ! I love all his books although I have only read about 4 so far I'm hoping to read more soon :)

• Thanks @pantarad, so is Christopher Barry-Dee really good? Should we too look out for his books on the shelves (or Amazon :) )? By grusome you mean creepy or really really scary?

• I'm a natural born bookworm and do not read any actually hyped stg. The American Gods are the 

best novel of Gaiman, it is not disputed. Based on his "trial show instinct" to understand the faith and the mindset of the many component of  U.S. people for the integration. So, a good result of his long and serious research work.

Neil would to give us the key of understanding to the  different cultural backgrounds. No less, no more. 

A real masterpiece and not everyone understands the essence but "just remains a memory of the mood".

Let me suggest to you the "Dogma" movie from Kevin Smith because of that the message of Kevin and Neil is both,

like: No matters what is your faith but use your mind and put according!

• I mostly read classics but am currently reading anything and everything related to Scott's Last Expedition...only about another 50 or so accounts to read!

I read whenever I can. Between us, my husband and I have five Kindles and there are books all over the house. There's not a lot better than feet up, wine open and book in hand.

• I remember being in love with Scott's Last Expedition in High School! Woot!

"I read whenever I can. Between us, my husband and I have five Kindles and there are books all over the house. There's not a lot better than feet up, wine open and book in hand." - hallelujah

• Love these kind of threads.  A great way to get to know one another.

@Natalie - I am on the other side of the spectrum from you - I read Fantasy (though I do dip into Scifi from time to time, especially if there is a kind of Fantasy blend to it - Sharon Shinn's Samaria series does that well, it blends Scifi, Fantasy and Romance)

But for the most part I pick up Epic Fantasy series - right now I am re-reading Robert Jodan's Wheel of Time series.  I read through to about book 6 then stopped - now that all books in the series are out (13 I think) I am going back to it.  I am currently on Book 3 - The Dragon Reborn.

• Misha Nox I agree - great way to learn about each other. I love Epic Fantasy as well, and I agree that it's best when it's all mixed to a nice little "cocktail". The Patternist series that I'm reading now are more Fantasy than scifi, interesting, although not a fall-in-love so far. The problem I have with it is that each book starts off its own story, and by the end of each I am starving to know what happened next in each respective storyline/time frame.

Sylvia Chrystall I did watch the Dogma, and really liked that movie. I thought it was a good satire.

I'm not saying Gaiman is bad - the idea is great, and it's certainly done a fairly good job, I more tried to give my own perception of that book - and how I personally felt about it. After hearning numberous recommenddations, and as a big fan of mythology (someone who's done research in it myself), I guess I expected too much... or just more... and didn't get it.

I kind of got done analyzing books too deeply after college. Lately, I try to go with feelings - it's a much more accurate indicator, from what I noticed. If a book can make me open up to it so much that I laugh, or cry, or feel pity, or at least feel curious, or otherwise make me interact with it - if it can draw me in - I mentally label it well-written. Now, this doesn't mean I enjoy all such books - i.e. Dostoyevsky always makes me react, usually I want to just choke his protagonists for being so soft and stupid and stubborn, but I can only take so much of their bs :) - Some of Bernard Shaw's plays are just like it - if you've read "Heartbreak House" you might know what I'm talking about. 

• I'm re-reading the Alchemist. Such a fabulous book!

Kinda just waiting for the next installment of the Games of Thrones series. 

I ebb and flow.. Sometimes I want fluff like the DarkbrotherHood series and then sometimes I crave a huge classic like Anna Karina.. or real heavy stuff like Macheville's The Prince...or something totally offbeat like Lamb The Gospel according to Biff Christ's childhood Pal (not religious but can be highly offensive if you are religious though) I always re-read all Jane Austen books yearly. 

It took me a long time to switch to an e-reader. I love everything about a book. But when you are boarding a plane on vacation and one suitcase is just books you kinda reevaluate your stance. 

I still buy them though.. one of my fav things to do to unwind is going into a book store, headphone in, mind clear and just roaming the isles until something spoaks to me. I've read the best books that way. Unbearable Lightness of Being, or 1000 Years of Solitude whivh are two amazing books that I had never heard of before until one of my roams. 

• edited May 2016

I just bought The Gita, The Book of Mormon and The Art of the Deal.

....Yeah, I like exposing myself to a wide range of thoughts and ideas, even those that I don't agree with.

I've been wanting to read The Gita for a long time now. I'm right next to Mormon Country (In Polygamy County, actually. The Mormons kicked them out of Utah and they came to West Colorado) so just being in proximity to that religion is enough to be interested in the book. Plus I've read Bible I and Bible II, so why not read Bible III: Jesus and Friends Come To America?

By the way, I'm not religious, which is probably why I'm reading two very conflicting religious documents.

If Trump didn't pull off what he's pulled off this election cycle, I probably wouldn't be interested in The Art of the Deal, but I'm curious to see if what he wrote reflects how he's campaigned.

• If you like sc-fi or horror I highly recommend Scott Sigler, he's probably my favorite writer at the moment.

• My favorite sci-fi book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. He has also written a lot of short stories in the horror and sci-fi genre.