Great tips about Instagram via Shopify's blog

Comments

• Fantastic promotional guide @Natalie thanks for the Tips =)

• thanks @Desirablebottom! Glad it's useful, although all I did was find it in the great online :)

• The article was great information, but the apps are out of date. You can't get them on an iphone at all. I wish there was something a little more to date. For anyone that is looking for apps for the use of scheduling and all, I use crowdfire to anazyle and publish to schedule post. I hope this helps everyone! thank you so much for the article...i definitely will be using a lot of these tips. 

• I wrote an e-book about success online.

here's my chapter on Instagram:

Instagram:

Probably my favorite of the social networks, although it can be the most challenging but for me its the most rewarding. What makes it so challenging is Instagram’s attitude to nudity, basically you can’t do nudity at all, even though if you look at the rating of Instagram in the iOS app store its says may contain nudity, Instagram themselves have an almost zero tolerance to it.

The golden rule is to be sexy but not sexual, what does that mean? you have a picture of you in a bra with a ton if cleavage with sexy smile, thats sexy, you do another similar picture of you in the same bra while sucking on a dildo, thats sexual, you see the difference? neither show nudity but the sexual pics will get you in trouble.

The other thing is nipples, nipples are a huge no-no on Instagram, even a hint of areola or even a hard nipple under a shirt can get you in trouble, its just not worth the risk, I’ve lost maybe about 10 Instagram accounts over the years by risking a nip-slip, next thing you know your account is gone, if you want to post nipples, my advice is to let other people post those pictures for you, use shout out accounts to post them, let them risk their account, don’t you risk yours.

Of course you might read this and think to yourself “I see accounts that show nipples all the time” well yes you might, but I promise you those accounts won’t be around for long, I often get asked how did I get so many followers (almost 75k at time of writing this) my answer is always, “by not getting deleted” longevity is the answer.

Of course getting those followers is important to and the secret to getting followers is by getting noticed, and by making your followers want to see more, the first advice is to make your account private, that sounds like the opposite of what you should do but I promise you it isn’t for various reasons.

The first reason is that in order to see your pictures, everyone will need to actually follow you, if you’re not private people can just browse your stuff and move along without following, plus being private will allow you to moderate who follows you, don’t let children follow you, I very rarely let girls follow me, I presume any female is an angry wife or girlfriend who has seen your pics on their mans phone, always check to see if she follows other accounts similar to your own, if not, keep them out, theses are the types of people who will report your pics.

Also go with your instincts, if you see a follow request from someone who looks like douchebag, then they more than likely are, if you get that bad feeling about them, then keep them out too, don’t be so hungry for new followers that you let any idiot in, if they look like a dick then they probably are, again, keep them out.

One other thing to stay clear of in my opinion is hashtags, you can use hashtags in Instagram like you can in many other forms of social media, but its always been a hunch of mine that the Nudity-Nazi’s in Instagram use those same hashtags to find “naughty” accounts, plus most of them have been blocked anyway, you can’t search the #boobs tag, along with most of the other similar tags, plus they don’t work fully if you are private, only people who already follow you will see them, so why bother?

Another thing you’ll see on Instagram that I think is a bad idea, is badly worded profile bio’s, you’ll see some girls using the phrases “deleted at 20k”, “don’t report, unfollow” personally if I was working for instagram I’d search for those kinds of statements, they are an instant red-flag that you are doing something naughty.

The absolute key to Instagram success is getting noticed, getting yourself noticed is the way to attract new followers, one good way of getting noticed is by following the most popular accounts, target the big brand names like Nike, Starbucks, Adidas, Ford, all of these companies have instagrams, follow them and leave comments on their posts, even a simple smilie emoji or a “wow” or a “cool” will get you noticed, theses companies have millions of followers, and those followers will see you.

In a similar way, follow accounts of other girls doing that naughty stuff, their followers are looking for girls like you too, so leaving comments like “sexy” or “cute” or a love heart emoji will get you noticed by your target audience, plus its just nice to be polite and complementary to people, also maybe that person will do you the kindness of giving you a shout out.

On the subject of shout outs, shoutout accounts are very useful for getting yourself noticed, again consider using shoutout pages for your naughtier pictures, but don’t share things you are uncomfortable with, and don’t let an account holder bribe you “show me your boobs and I’ll shout you out” this person is clearly a dick so move one, there are plenty of good natured shout out accounts, but they frequently get deleted.

Consider doing shout outs for other girls too, but don’t go too crazy, as much as dudes want to see other hot girls it can feel a bit spammy after a while and I’m sure a lot of your followers are following you to see you, so flooding your Instagram with pics of other girls is a good way of getting unfollowed. Personally I only shout out a screen grab of their profile, I think seeing multiple girls on a personal instagram is just confusing, and I’m sure other people feel the same, I do it as a show of appreciation not to show other peoples stuff, but each to their own.

One technique I use is to limit my Instagram to a set amount of pictures, maybe 50 or 60 or just a weeks worth of pictures and then delete them, that way it lets me post them again in the future, very few people will notice, if you have 2000 pics on your Instagram it is highly unlikely that your new followers will look back and see your first few pictures, seems like a waste to me, plus those pictures might be really good.

Make sure you have a good profile picture, not too hot, certainly no nipples visible, be sure to be clothed, no hand-bras, not pasties, and no censored pics with nips obscured or blurred out, I guarantee you account won’t last long if you do, the same goes for your posts, hand-bras are risky, so are pasties, and blurred/censored pics, leave those pics to shout out. 

• Busty_Von_Tease, great job! Thanks a lot for sharing :)

• Busty_Von_Tease, great job! Thanks a lot for sharing :)

LaurenPhillips I use hootsuite, it's handy for managing several accounts, monitoring and scheduling

• I dont have an instagram but reading this I may try it out. Thanks @Busty_Von_Tease