Why aren't chargebacks and refunds being fought?

DreDre
edited June 2017 in Announcements

It is so frustrating when you know and see someone viewing, commenting and liking your content, only to get 3 months worth of chargebacks from the user months down the line.

ModelCentro and Centrobill claim that they dispute some of these, but I find it hard to believe that not ONE has been successful.

Are you guys really doing anything to stop these crooks from stealing our content? Or are you and us expected to just count it up as a cost of doing business? HONESTLY.

I own another paysite not on modelcentro and my payment processer gives us the freedom to dispute chargebacks by submitting ip address, viewing history, matching email addresses, etc., and we have had chargebacks reversed.

Comments

• I also had 1 members.

He has canceled the 2 months of membership after 2 months at his bank and MC has deleted the money for the 2 months.

After 1 month with a new e-mail address he booked my page again.

I thought I did not look right. I thought it was a shame, and I wrote to MC with the request to block this member immediately and keep the money, since this member has resignation.

MC told me it can not. MC can only cancel the membership, but the money is returned. Where is there something like that? If I bring a car to the workshop and have money riots, the workshop is entitled to withhold the car as a pledge. Each game page also locks the player when a payment is stoned.

I knew this member of Streamate and I knew he was German. I wrote to him about the e-mail and threatened him with an ad to the police because of credit card fraud.

He wrote me back and told me he'd paid the money two weeks ago. He sent me the bank confirmation.

The problem is with Centrobill. Centrobill said Modelcentro for 2 days that the member has not paid. After 2 days, MC asked me to get in touch with Centrobill. Despite the bank confirmation of the member told me Centrobill with the money is not received. After another 2 days came the confirmation of Centrobill, the member has paid.

I wonder what Centrobill has for an accounting.

But you can disable the comment function for this member. By clicking on the member in the transaction list or fan list, you can switch the comment function off.

• Let me gather the full information on this and I'll respond (I.E. I'm not going to ignore this thread but I need to consult legal people first because on one hand our TOS say that you have the right to pursue the user who claimed fraud but on the other our privacy policy says we can't disclose personal information so right now I'm lost a bit, but I'll figure it out, I promise)

• Hi everyone! I’m Dominika owner of dominika-c.com. Chargebacks happen to me too. But I had 2 chargebacks returned to me recently, total of close to 300 EUR, so it doesn’t always not work… I wish it was more often but the money does get returned. The chargeback happened in March and return came back end of May so it took 2 months.

• Thank you for bringing this up @Dre ;since I do feel that more transparency is necessary for this matter. We often get complaints from our partners about chargebacks and I feel that, as a rule, it is because the concept of chargeback and refund are confused. I know many of you already know, but just to start everyone off on the same page, let me explain the difference:

A refund is something that's requested by the buyer from the seller, and refunds are issued solely at seller's discretion.

A chargeback, on the contrary, is an automatic retrieval of funds that happens between the banks of the seller and the buyer. Nothing is required from the buyer to make the claim other than their own word. All a seller can do is get the buyer to the court if he/she finds that the chargeback was fraudulent.

So as you can see, ModelCentro has no input in chargebacks. Often times, we do not even get notified of them until the banks processing is done and they finally choose to notify us at a later date.

We dislike chargebacks as much as you do – probably even more. As the chargeback cost is shared the same way profit would be, we lose our share just like you lose yours. Additionally, a $30 to $50 bank fee applies which we do not in any way transfer to you, per each chargeback AND the company runs a risk of getting a hundred-thousand dollar fine if the percentage of chargebacks on an account rises too high. That is what you would call high-risk processing.

Now, what I feel there needs to be more transparency about is the processing of chargebacks and our efforts in getting this money back. Here is what is done on our part when a chargeback happens: we try to contact the user and remind them about the service they received so they would reverse the chargeback, not once but twice.

We send several easy ways to process a repayment to the user so they wouldn’t have to go through their bank again.

If this does not work, we file every single chargeback, along with supporting information and anything the model can provide us with to a collection agency which then files affidavits to the bank in order to return the funds. Not always, but quite a few chargebacks get retrieved in this way.

At this stage, we appreciate any help that the model can provide. If a chargeback happens on your website, please let us know if you know anything else about the user – their social media accounts, alternative email addresses, location – anything that we can use to help identify and prove our right to the bank.

In our attempts to reverse more chargebacks, we are now finalizing an agreement with another chargeback management solution specially geared towards reversing chargebacks made by users from the USA -which are a majority in this dreadful practice.

In terms of the time span and processing, we frequently get asked when one can expect to see a returned chargeback. In the past, we found that chargebacks could be returned after 2 years, although the majority of chargeback retrievals happen within the first 3 months after it is discovered.

One big problem faced when trying to reverse a chargeback is an important phase in processing as well as a dilemma that everyone has to deal with. In order to process more sales, you want to streamline the payment process and ask for as little information as possible. If you wish to later dispute chargebacks, you want to ask for as much as you can.

Chargeback retrieval is hard to process simply because, on the whole, the information we have is limited to name and state, so we’re looking for John Doe with a zip code in Arizona who has logged in under TOR browser from China, Netherlands, and Nicaragua. That is why any specific information you have about these users would be beneficial and can improve the chances of chargeback retrieval. The new partnership I mentioned above focuses on tracking down such users, therefore, we hope to see a significant increase in the percentage of retrieved funds.

To answer your question - no, we do not leave the model on his or her own when dealing with a chargeback, and we also do not stay idle about it ourselves. The basic reason for that is because ModelCentro does not store the user's personal billing details or information - it is securely located with the billing company, and they do not have the right to disclose it. The data we have - digital records of use - are all forwarded and processed in the attempt to retrieve the funds which are filed and processed for you.

We do not see chargebacks as a “cost of doing business” and do not treat the matter lightly, and I hope that this post clarifies that.

If you have further questions about the processing of chargebacks or how we deal with them please let us know.

@Spaingirl ;/ Nati I'm really sorry to hear about this happening to you and I'm glad the member ended up repaying. In Europe, SOFORT is the general payment method and it is even easier to reverse payments on it. That sounds like there was some miscommunication in relaying the information about the payment to CentroBill and I am glad that it was resolved in the end.

• @ Natalie

I know, but we have no influence on what the member pays.

I have to say, with Modelcentro it is within limits. Until now, everything was back after 2 months at the latest.

I also had another, a Swiss. He returned the complete months and trials at his bank after 2.5 months. After 1 month I got the money back. I also do not know what it brings to people, except anger.

So I have to say, until now I have ALL cancellations back. Thanks! sad

There are other portals, such as MDH. There I have many cancellations. Partially, I get them back, but many not, specifically not from Germany. It is very bad, in the period from the 10th to the 15th. of month. I think the limits of the credit card are exhausted, since the customer with MDH after credit card payment immediately received the coins and in Germany the law, I can cancel a credit card payment up to 3 months after the purchase. 

• That is admittely very good statistics - 100% of chargebacks being returned... nice!

• @Natalie Thank you so much for the in depth explanation. It definitely makes me feel a lot better knowing that something is being done to fight back. I really appreciate this.

• @Dre happy to be useful, it's kind of what I'm here for :) Thank you again for bringing this up.