Trial Options, Member Cancellations & Refunds

So I have a one day trial on my site for $3, but it seems that those who sign up for it have access to my site for more than one day. Also I have this member who signs up with the $3 trial and after a few days, where he shouldn't have access to the site anymore, cancels his membership and then requests a refund. He should've had the access he paid for, why are members allowed to cancel and request refunds after their membership expiration? This is the second time he's done this, the first time he didn't get a refund but this time he did, 5 days after he paid for a one day membership. Is there a delay in the cancellation/refund system? I'm a little peeved that he got a refund after he should've had full access to my site. Is there a logical explaination for this?

Also I was wondering if theres a way to block memberships from people who abuse the trial option? If I see him sign up for a 3rd time, I don't want him as a member. This behaivour is sketchy and I feel like he's trying to rip off my content for as cheap as possible.

Comments

• Claes Cummings. The only way he should  have had access is if he went trial-to-full, meaning that after his 1 day trial he was billed for full membership. If he accessed the site, he should not have been issued a refund. The only way he could have gotten his money back is by complaining to his bank that he doesn't recognize the payment/didn't do it. We add people to the blacklist if they are known to have requested a chargeback with their bank. You should probably inquire with support at modelcentro.com and let them know the username of this user so they could check specifically this case.

• Thanks Natalie, in the website activity section, it says he was online many times. I'll email support right away.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

• Thanks for reaching out and bringing this up. I hope you'll have it resolved shortly.

• I've had a few subscribers sign up for one month membership, blast through all of my photosets and videos in an hour, and request cancellation.  Obviously they just jumped aboard for quick downloads.  Is there any way I can prevent this in the future?  Thanks

• @steampink I was having the same problem, so I disabled downloads on my site. And instead I give members a certain amount of downloads per month. Here's my blog post about it: http://dirtylittleholly.com/post/32628/free-video-downloads-with-your-membership

I used to get complaints occasionally for not allowing downlaods, but haven't gotten any since implementing that.

• Hey @SteamPink. Yes, @dirtylittleholly is offering a good idea.

If we have records of activity on the site, refunds will not get issued. On the other hand, if the user is set to risk his reputation with the bank, he can still run a chargeback and be on his way with the money. It will eventually hit him once he gets a fraud report from the chargeback collections firm, but until then it'll be hard to do anything at all.

You don't know how often we get to deal with these people. A refund request comes in and the techs go to check and the user's been on the site, watched videos and saw photos... what's their problem, right? Sigh, many of them actually believe they are correct in what they are doing... saying something like "this is not what I expected"... but most, even the ones who say that, are just crooks.

• Thank you.  I had downloads disabled for the most part--but that can always be bypassed by the technically saavy--will keep an eye out in the future.

• I have two related qustions.

1: Am I right in thinking if someone takes a trial membership, it automatically coverts to a subscription unless they cancel?

2: Is there a way to offer a week or month membership which simply ends, no need to cancel. (I guess this would be like a long trial!)

• Hey @rebecca, 1 Yes and 2 Nope, all the options are recurring, they'll need to cancel (which is really easy, so not much of a problem).

• Hi to all, totally new here, upload the few videos I have and no idea where to start to advertise, I thought my 1700 followers on twitter would give me some return but I had none so far, a few guests but no income so far ... any tips for an absolute starter? I checked rabbitreviews but I read that ideally I should have 25 videos, I am far from it, I have 6 ...

• TS-LaylaStretch  and welcome to ModelCentro! 

Check out threads tagged 'promotion' to learn how to advertise your site - http://community.modelcentro.com/index.php?p=/discussions/tagged/promotion

• @ts-laylastretch ;

You won't go far with only 6 videos. I would sugest focusing on shooting more content. After it breaks at least 25, start uploading promo to tubes. 

• @Natalie do we have access to a blacklist? does it have logs of what ip adresses to block that are prone to chargebacks so we can block them before it happens?

• kstar,

Our Billing team has this list and they will definitely make sure to not let anyone from the list to sign up to your site

• @kstar we can also block particular IPs from accessing your site - you can do it through the admin, via "My Site" (top menu) - "Settings" (left submenu)

• I have the same problem.

2 months ago a member booked me 2 day trial and after those 2 days he complains to his bank on the further withdrawals. So, was canceled me.

Precisely is the same member with me again joined for 1 week.

Why credit cards are not blocked?

SM and even online game makes in a failed previous debits the credit card.

I already know what happens after a week.

Why not get the MC on the series? Is only our money and aggravation.

• @Natalie

How can I see the member IP address ??

• Hey @spaingirl, he should be blocked, but could have used a different location and card. You don't have access to user personal data - card information and IP included, as per the privacy policy, but I'd really like to look up this particular user and make sure it is worked out. Could you email or PM me his username?

• @Natalie

The problem is this:

I make weekly live shows.

He booked 1 week. In the 2nd week he goes to the bank and complained about the charge for the following month. Until the information is here, 2 weeks have passed.

Thus he has two weeks free access and 2 live shows now.

Who makes this once and knows, it always does! Pay a week, 2 weeks for free.

My husband plays Worl of Tanks. There it is. If a debit posted back, so the AC will be blocked and he can not get a new AC. From WOT the IP address is registered. The IP is blocked, even though he used a different credit card.

I write to you for a weekend mail with both AC.

• @spaingirl, IPs can be dynamic (change every time  you connect to the internet, and usually they are, unless you get a dedicated one with your internet provider), and there's the option to use a proxy that will show a different IP if so. Either way, I can give you more info when I know the username or email. Did you email natalie at modelcentro.com? I didn't get anything there.

• Since the post went in the direction of members downloading content then cancelling, i figured my question can just be put here instead of trying to figure out where else i should put it or just create a new post for it. 

So, on my site i have content downloading disabled (people would sign up for trails, download all my content then request a cancelation) but someone recently put in a request for cancelation and their reasoning was "Cant down load movies and down loading pictures is clumsy". I'm guessing there is software out there that can do this or he's simply right clicking my photos and doing the "save image as" option. 

My question is, in the future, could ModelCentro make it to where it's extremely hard for the members to save our content when we don't want them to? They could always just screenshot and crop all the photos, but i'm thinking most of these guys don't have the patience to do that.

• @ChloeSwan it's actually already set up with measures to prevent guys from right clicking on our photos. When a member tries to right click on your photos, nothing happens. The only way they can save them is by screenshotting and cropping or using some kind of hacking software.

• @ChloeSwan, it is protected by scripts disabling right-click-save, thanks @dirtylittleholly for explaining that before I even got to it.

You could, using your admin access, log in to your website as a member and check out what users see and get.