Five Reasons to Have Your Own Domain

Models sometimes ask me whether it is really worth it to have their own domain. I have been noticing that more and more often newcomers on MC just... don't bother? Well, the reasons to run a business with your own domain can be compared to owning a place in the real world. It is always better to buy a house and some land than an apartment.

Here are some good reasons for getting your own domain.

1. You will do way better on your website’s SEO

When you have your own domain you have much more control over how your website will rank in the search engines. They always prefer a .com website, so if you have the same number of links with your own .com, versus a .modelcentro.com site, the search engine will give your .com page a higher ranking just because you possess your own domain. This is a big advantage for you, not to mention the possibility of a type-in find being dismally low when they have to write YourName.modelcentro.com.

2. It looks more professional

Registering a domain name looks more professional to a potential member or affiliate. It really shows you are serious about building your own website and filling it with great content. Make your website's name work as your personal brand.

3. You can make extra money with affiliates

Having your own domain plus lots of traffic in a popular niche will eventually have you making more money off your site. In fact, if you have lots of traffic, other models and website owners will ask you to become an affiliate. Affiliates in general are reluctant to promote subdomains, so not having a direct domain puts you out of range for all those who won’t promote a subdomain site.

4. It can simplify your social posts

You can make your own domain a central hub between your social network accounts. It is definitely much easier to tweet out a link if it’s a short .com or .xxx

5. Someone else could get it instead of you

You don’t want someone else getting their hands on your preferable domain name, do you? The fact remains that for as long as your desired domain is available, someone else is able to snatch it. Don't give your competition a chance to capture the lucrative name and cash in on the brand you’ve made with hard work!

Lastly, I wanted to mention the latest issue that was brought up – about domain names going public compulsively. ModelCentro will surely shield your personal information if this matter ever arises. If necessary, provide our company name instead of your private information. We take your privacy seriously.

If you are hesitating about getting your own domain, I hope this post has convinced you. The upside to having your website on your own domain is too huge - just don't lose time to do it.

THE HOW-TO: The really easy part!

To get your own domain, go to “My site” in top menu and then “Settings” in the left menu. Hit “Register an existing domain” and go through the easy steps of purchase. Note that all regular domains will be free for you – that is a treat from ModelCentro (we will cover the cost of the 1st year and private registration).

Comments

• I was so Happy to be able to Claim Two Domains Thanks to you all so I know no one Else can Get them. I am Happy You offer this Feature for us
  • Thanks @Natalie! Looking through my referrals, it shocks me how many of them are only using the subdomain!