Don't Connect FB to Twitter...and why not?

It is really common to see people posting tweets to their Facebook page, and vice versa. I am going to tell you why 1 is ok and the other is not.  

Good Idea!

It is a good idea to post Facebook posts, automatically, on your Twitter feed. It lets people know that you have a Facebook page and can help drive up likes to your page. You can easily connect your Facebook to your Twitter by going to https://www.facebook.com/twitter/. This will only share your posts from Facebook to your Twitter, not the other way around. 

Bad Idea!

Do not connect your Twitter to your Facebook. This is where your tweets automatically post on your Facebook page. 

1. Twitter and Facebook are 2 very different audiences. Where as most Tweeps have a Facebook page, not all Facebook have a Twitter. So the voice and kind of posts that go on Facebook and Twitter are very different, or they should be.
2. You can be completely explicit on Twitter. On Facebook you have to be very conservative. If you have nsfw tweets going onto Facebook you will likely get your account shut down. 
3. You tweet WAY more often than you post on Facebook. Facebook only wants 3-5 posts per day on a page. People get annoyed when you post more than that. Twitter you can post as often as you like and many people have more than 25 tweets in a single day. If you post that often on Facebook they will hide your feed, or unlike your page.
4. If you post the same thing I have no reason to follow you on both networks. If I follow you on Twitter and you post all of that on Facebook, I don't need to follow your Twitter account because I am seeing it all.  This rule does not apply when posting from Facebook to Twitter because most people will not see all your tweets, as the average lifespan of a tweet is 18 minutes. 

If you do want to connect your Twitter to your Facebook, go to: https://twitter.com/settings/applications  ...you can also disconnect your Twitter from your Facebook at this same page.

Comments

• Good point :) I actually figured I should disable tweets on fb way back when, but it didn't occur to me that it's worth connecting facebook to twitter
  • I agree with you, if your Facebook followers are more prudish than your Twitter followers. From what I noticed, both sides that follow me are about the same in levels of opinions. They know what I do, how I do it. Even my mother knows (don't ask me how...she's a mother, they have powers). But I keep my modeling and personal accounts seperate.